X on tty1 in Rawhide/F10

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 13:49:35 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 6:44 AM, shmuel siegel
<fedora at shmuelhome.mine.nu> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote:
>>
>> Why is it significant what tty any program runs on? Isn't the
>> assumption that getty will be on tty1 just as faulty as the assumption
>> X will be on tty7?
>>
>> --
>> Dan
>>

> Because you are changing a user interface. What is going to happen when the
> user switches to tty1 and nothing happens? The basic logic of putting X on
> tty7 is to get it out of the way. Humans will use the lowest numbered ttys
> first. Besides breaking existing documentation, including advice on various
> forums, is not a good idea.

The basic logic of X starting on tty7 is because it was the first open
VT because getty is already running on tty1-6. I can show you the code
in the X server where it picks the first available VT. This is just
changing it so that X will start on tty1. What interface is that
breaking? A broken assumption that tty1 == !X?

--
Dan