X on tty1 in Rawhide/F10

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 18:42:11 UTC 2008

2008/10/28 Will Woods <wwoods at redhat.com>:
> On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 10:36 -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:

>> > OK look. If you absolutely cannot deal with this DRASTIC change in
>> > behavior:
>> >
>> > 1) add "start on started prefdm" to /etc/event.d/tty1
>> > 2) (GNOME) edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf and add
>> >     FirstVT=7
>> >   to the top of the file. Or:
>> >   (KDE) edit /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc and set
>> >     ServerVTs=-7
>> >     ConsoleTTYs=tty1,tty2,tty3,tty4,tty5,tty6
>> > 3) Sigh contentedly at the restoration of your precious tradition.
>> >
>> > If you use runlevel 3 + startx, nothing has changed.
>>
>> I don't think this is quite how it works in the plymouth/gdm new world
>> order. Especially since newer gdm doesn't support FirstVT anymore.
>
> Really? Because I *did* test it before sending mail, and it worked as
> expected; X was on VT7 again. But maybe things are different when we
> start right after plymouth..
> ..anyway, it's worth documenting how to change it back.

Since plymouth writes the /var/spool/gdm file on boot and then gdm
removes it, any subsequent starts will put X on the first available
VT, which is tty7 in the common configuration. With my patch, prefdm
writes the file every time it's executed. I don't know if that's the
correct behavior for all cases where prefdm would be run.

I'm looking at upstream gdm right now, and FirstVT isn't respected.
Looking at the rawhide patches, I don't see anything that would enable
that functionality again.

> This is probably a good time to mention that the Docs Project would
> surely love help in documenting these sorts of changes for the release
> notes:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/ReleaseNotes/Process

Good to know.

--