X on tty1 in Rawhide/F10

Casey Dahlin cdahlin at redhat.com
Tue Oct 28 20:06:55 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Casey Dahlin wrote:
>> >>>
>>> True, but it's one brick in a lengthy series of stupid and silly
>>> decisions, which have been gradually running down Fedora into this
>>> single-user windows clone it has evolved into.
>>>

>> Are you serious? Really? You must have a very tenuous grasp of OS
>> internals.
>
> No, every change requires extensive documentation and retraining or
> you will have confused and disgruntled users.
>
>> Who does this affect?
>> 1) People using the console a lot who also run X (remember, runlevel
>> 3 hasn't changed). Desktop users don't use consoles, server users
>> don't use X (I hope). Only a few species of geek remain.
>
> This dichotomy exists only in your imagination.  Desktop users
> sometimes interact with servers, server users nearly always interact
> with desktops.

The users are the same. The computers, however, are different.

>> 2) People recovering from X crashes. Bugs. Errors. Things we could be
>> fixing and making not happen rather than accommodating this bizzare
>> F1 fetish.
>
> People reading documentation.  Please change the behavior _after_
> updating all existing documentation.

Documentation changes need to go out /at/ the time of change. Not
before, not after (though they do need to be prepared ahead of time). I
know for the documentation we control the effort will be made to keep
that up to date. There's been a recent influx of new contributors
recently that care about this area a lot and are doing their best.

For documentation we don't control, well, there will always be issues.

I should also point out that for people that know about VTs, the mental
fallback pattern probably handles this well. *Ctrl+Alt+F1* "Huh?"
*Ctrl+Alt+F1* "What the..." *Ctrl+Alt+F2* "Hmm, that's weird"
*Ctrl+Alt+F1* "Oh, ok."

--CJD