Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Wed Oct 29 09:35:39 UTC 2008

Richard Hughes wrote:
> I was thinking about trying to tackle the boot time of fedora (and get
> to the 5 second nirvana)

Great go for it! The solution to bikeshed color discussions is to just ignore
them and make the changes in rawhide. If too much people scream too loudly one
can always revert the changes or come up with a better way :)

> mean we are still loading sendmail, isdn, nfslock, and all other legacy
> stuff in ten years time.

Talking about the nfs (and related rpc daemons) I recently had a good idea for
those, some will hate it, but those are the people who so no to anything
looking like progress, so I say lets just ignore them.

This idea is taken from some work I've done recently to stop the iscsi related
daemons from starting unnecessary be default, something which has become
relevant as the libvirt stuff drags in iscsi-initiator-utils on very
installation that has libvirt, of which there are quite a few.

So the idea is to patch all the initscripts which currently only get started by
default for NFS, to as the first thing in their start method grep for nfs in
/etc/fstab and if that is not found exit quietly without doing anything further.

Then to make manual mounting of nfs exports not in fstab work properly, the
suggested fix is to patch mount to check if the necessary daemons are running
and if not start them. Since this will probably turn out to be distro specific
I think it would be best to have a checknfsdaemons shell script in some
standard location provided by the distro and let mount call that before each
nfs mount. (Oh the horror an additional entire fork and exec on each nfs mount,
hello people this is going over the network, forget about the fork and exec
cost, thank you).

Regards,

Hans