Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Wed Oct 29 13:35:10 UTC 2008

On Wednesday, 29 October 2008 at 13:42, Brian Wheeler wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 14:34 +0200, shmuel siegel wrote:
> > Brian Wheeler wrote:
> > > I'm going to agree with the -1.
> > >
> > > Almost all of the "reasons" from the original email boil down to "we've
> > > always done it this way".
> > >

> > And what about the other reasons?
> >
> > There have been two reasons given for maintaining the change.
> > 1) Your use case doesn't interest me.
> > 2) We've thought of a way to accomplish our goal. There have been no
> > objective.
> >

> I'm still trying to figure out why there's all the love for X on tty7.
>
> Things change.  We adapt.  Having the primary interface on tty1 makes
> much more sense than it being on tty7.  On a semi-serious note, the tty7
> choice is a historical accident...not a design choice.
>
> OSS has been replaced.
> Static /dev has been replaced.

Which has the downside of losing devices I create manually upon reboot.

> SysV init has been replaced.

And there was much screaming. Custom inittabs stopped working.

> IDE drives aren't /dev/hd* anymore.

That was relatively painless if you used labels.

> We're using LVM instead of raw partitions.

Thankfully anaconda still lets you use raw partitions. Who said I need LVM?
I don't see any advantages in using it.

You forgot about NetworkManager, which still doesn't work right, 4 releases
after it was introduced.

Oh and PackageKit, which presents a different set of groups than what you
can see in Anaconda.

Regards,
R.

"Faith manages."