unable to switch vt

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 14:12:34 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 5:30 AM, Dan Horák <dan at danny.cz> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope this to be a bug and not a really bad joke. I am completely
> unable to switch vt with current rawhide kernel
> (2.6.27.4-65.fc10.x86_64) and it works with an older one
> (2.6.27.3-27.rc1.fc10.x86_64), there is no reaction on pressing
> Ctrl-Alt-F[1-6]
>
> I have
> - no graphical boot, console is vesafb
> - default runlevel 5
> - updated /etc/event.d/tty1 to be same as tty[2-6] as suggested by
> wwoods (I want X on vt7)

Unfortunately, that's not all it takes due to the way plymouth and gdm interact.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-October/msg02516.html

If you really want X on vt7, you will need to add 'rm
/var/spool/gdm/force-display-on-active-vt' in prefdm or somewhere else
before gdm starts, or it will still force X to start on tty1. If you
run `ck-list-sessions', it will probably show that you're on tty1 in
X.

--
Dan