rawhide report: 20081028 changes

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Oct 29 14:14:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:45:32AM +0100, Matthias Saou wrote:

> The two libraries, libcaca and libcucul, got merged into libcaca. Note
> that this version installs "compatibility" symlinks as "libcucul.so.0
> -> libcaca.so.0", but those aren't detected as provides by rpm.

Looking at the package, it seems to me that those *.so.* links are useless
(and may even be confusing).

The devel symlinks
 /usr/lib/libcucul.so -> libcaca.so
 /usr/lib/libcucul++.so -> libcaca++.so
are very important for backward compatibility, to be able to still
link against libcucul and get it right.

> Dependant external programs simply need to be rebuilt. Another (ugly)
> solution might be to add explicit "Provides:" for libcucul sonames to
> the package.

No, since the linker won't be able to find it, the soname is now
  SONAME               libcaca.so.0
even for programs linked against libcucul.

--
Pat