Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 17:47:18 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 9:20 AM, Dax Kelson <dkelson at gurulabs.com> wrote:
> Most (all?) of the technologies you mentioned are cross-distribution.

Believe what you want.  Different distros pick up different technology
changes at different times.  They do not all move as a block.
PolicyKit and its authorization concepts being a current area where we
lead the integration and we are breaking established traditional
practises to get to something better. PolicyKit still blows my mind I
haven't really figure out how to work with it as an admin. I'm still
getting comfortable with how to script interaction with HAL and DBUS
to deal with removable devices as an admin and not a user.  Far more
disruptive and more important than dickering over what vt anything
defaults to appearing on.

the cross distro tty behavior issue with regard to tty initialization
is a FANTASY. Its is concensus by inaction and a lack of discussion.
People took an arbitrary inittab example and have propagated
it..mindlessly. No attempt at cross-distribution standardization
addresses this as an expectation on behavior.

jef"At some point...all phones were rotary dial..until someone made a
push button phone. Dear god, my fingers have to move in a completely
different pattern to do get exactly the same work done.....that's
incompatible...think of the children....down with push button
phones!"spaleta