Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 18:16:23 UTC 2008

Chris Adams wrote:

> The vast majority of users have no idea or
> care about VT switching in my experience and will not care that X
> switched from one tty to another (if you tried to explain it to them,
> you'd just get blank stares).

The reason those people don't need to care about vt's is that they'll go
to whoever recommended linux to them in the first place if they have a
problem with X.  And those are the people who care about consistency.

> If it speeds up the boot process and
> causes less flicker and monitor reset (which does disconcert regular
> users), they'll be happy.

But it doesn't - the flicker is caused by switching modes at the wrong time.

> As for the argument that speeding up boot and making the boot smoother
> is meaningless because you should never need to reboot, there are still
> a lot of users that have to dual-boot.  Speeding up boot (and shutdown!)
> is a good thing for them.

And they'd probably  be better off with VMware instead, running
whichever OS handles sleeping better as the host.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com