Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Brian Wheeler bdwheele at indiana.edu
Wed Oct 29 19:59:48 UTC 2008

> Brian Wheeler wrote:
> >
> > The 7th is "nobody should care what tty X is on".  Indeed, why are
> > people so upset that it has changed?  Its not an argument for or
> > against, its an argument that this thread shouldn't be taking place at
> > all.
>
> How do you get back once you have switched to a text vt?

Alt-F1

or

chvt `ps -ef | perl -ne "if(m/Xorg/) { m/tty(\d+)/; print \$1; last;}"`

:)

> > Compatibility isn't a driving priority, especially for something that's
> > low-level and used primarily by those who've been around for a long
> > time...
>
> Unless you'd like to keep those long time users.

Well, I'm a long time user and I don't see what the big deal is.  There
are several people on this list which seem to announce that "<insert
change here> is the one that's going to drive long time users away"
and/or "time to look for a new distribution" semi-regularly... yet they
(long time users) are still here.

Brian

/Anyone else miss the threads when ESR was doing the shed painting?
/Me neither.