Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 22:24:57 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> Dax Kelson (dkelson at gurulabs.com) said:
>> I would argue strongly that this change should not be made for the
>> following reasons (in no particular order):
>
> So, I'd like to take a different tack to this request. I don't want
> to be combative, but I'm genuinely curious.
>
> This change was documented as part of the BetterStartup feature on the
> wiki page ever since existed. For those playing at home, that's roughly a
> year and a half. No one complained on this list.
>
> The feature was proposed to FESCo, and approved. No one complained
> on this list.
>
> The feature was implemented, and landed in rawhide. No one complained
> on this list.
>
> Will mentioned it on the list, as an adjunct to a release note (more
> or less). Everybody showed up.

Well to be honest.. most of those places aren't in front of people's
faces. They are in front of your faces because you work in it 60+
hours a week every week. If I get 6 hours to play with Fedora on a
week I am ecstatic. If this was mentioned 1.5 years ago, 6 months ago,
etc.. it is gone from the brain of most of the people who may be
developing something completely different from this one feature. Thats
one of the issues with communication in a virtual environment.. you
must continuously do it because people join, leave, focus on their own
project, etc. Sadly putting it up on a web page is not enough because
there are too many webpages, too many twitters, etc for people to know
whats important until it smacks them in the face and says "Oh we
changed your XYZ, please redo all your docs for us."

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux