Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Oct 30 03:39:25 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 11:41 -0600, Dax Kelson wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 08:32 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 8:11 AM, Matthew Woehlke
> > > it don't appear to care about the objections; they're not responding
> > > intelligently to them,
> >
> > I don't have an intelligent response to any argument which essentially
> > comes down to "tradition."  Have the traditionalists pulled put forth
> > any consensus document like an RFC to support that at some point in
> > time a group of people actually talk through the need for doing gettys
> > a certain way?
> >
> > Traditions which codify a collection of arbitrary decisions..are
> > traditions I will gladly help throw into the fire.
>
> Jef,
>
> Not you too. My arguments are NOT "essentially" tradition. One o my 9
> distinct arguments was Fedora becomes inconsistent with itself.
>
> Another was that Fedora becomes incompatible with other Linux
> distributions. Do we really want to go down the path where we have to
> have "Fedora experts", "SUSE experts, "Ubuntu experts", etc and there is
> no such thing as a "Linux expert"? That were the path of frivolous
> incompatibilities leads.

It's not an incompatible change at all.  Your programs will all still
run exactly the same way they do now.  Your config files haven't
changed.  It still looks exactly the same when you boot up.

How is this _any_ different than, say, switching between a Dell and
Thinkpad where the Ctrl and Fn keys are swapped?  Annoying the first 5
minutes, but then you learn.  Or you remap them if you really care.
Same with vt1 vs. vt7.  Come on people...

Dan