Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Oct 30 05:48:19 UTC 2008

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 9:21 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> > You will likely comprehend the absurdity of this proposal when X server
> > races the next time.
>
> As a user...wtf do I know about a race condition?

As a user, you watch your system becoming non-responsive. As a Win-User
you will switch the machine off and reboot.

As a Linux user with a bit of experience, you will want to check for
what is going wrong and will try to recover from the breakdown without
rebooting or reinstalling.

That said, Ctrl-F1 often is the first step to try (and sometimes the
only means) when "X11 becomes non-responsive".

> As a tester...im going to turn on a going to turn on gettys no matter
> what the defaults are.
> where the getty is..is arbitrary...for my needs to interact with it.

> As an admin....serial consoles are great.
I guess, you always have second machine around prepared for such
scenarios?

I guess, your laptop has a serial console you carry around all the time,
e.g. in hotels or in trains?

I guess, you have never had never been facing sporadic network
breakdowns (or more common on Fedora: NetworkManager misbehaving) ?