Reasons to preseve X on tty7

James Hubbard jameshubbard at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 12:23:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 12:53 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Pierre-Yves wrote:
>>
>> Les Mikesell wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't quite understand the obsession with making boot time faster
>>> anyway.  Machines should only boot when they have a new kernel to install.
>>>  If they aren't needed all the time they should sleep or hibernate, waking
>>> up with everything still running.
>>>

>> My problem here are your two last words *still running*...
>> Maybe especially on my laptop.
>>

> Why is that a problem? I don't have a fedora-loaded laptop handy but ubuntu
> seems to sleep and wake up OK.

I still have problems with sleep.  It will periodically hang.  There's
an Nvidia chipset on the machine which is most of the problem.  Sleep
isn't as reliable as it should be.  A co-worker moved to Apple because
he got fed up with the sleep problems that he was having.

Under F9 when I resume from suspend it seems to take forever for it
the graphical interface to come back.  After X is back is seems to
take forever for the wireless connection to start.  It makes me wonder
if I shouldn't  shutdown the machine and reboot everytime.

The above doesn't include those that have dual boot setups either.
Boot times are important.