Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Oct 30 16:05:12 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>>> [Fedora] is experimental and high maintenance to run.
>>
>> I beg to differ. Building KDE from trunk, now /that's/ "experimental
>> and high maintenance", and even that not so much. The only problem
>> I've had with Fedora 8/9 is the cr*p nvidia drivers don't work quite
>> right on my setup, and that's hardly Fedora's fault.
>
> It is fedora's fault that their policy makes it difficult for you to run
> vendor drivers.

I'm sure this wasn't your intent anyway, but please don't put words in
my mouth :-). I happen to *agree* with the policy. The problem, rather -
at least as I see it - is simply that nvidia's drivers suck :-). Which
is hardly Fedora's fault; if nvidia would get with the program and make
Free and Open drivers, then maybe they could be fixed.

>> Maintenance... sure, I run 'yum update' every few days, big deal :-).
>
> I don't mind running the update - it's when things don't work afterwards
> or a remote machine doesn't come back after a reboot that is the problem.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experiences. I've never had such
problems, though.

>> Most of the Fedora-related headaches I run into are from needing a
>> newer package than what's in the official updates due to a requirement
>> in KDE's trunk (like cmake 2.6.2, which I'm hoping will get pushed
>> through before it becomes a hard requirement in a few weeks).
>
> Throw in a few of the third party repositories that you need to deal
> with the policy and legal restrictions on what fedora provides and
> things get even more problematic.

Already have those. The only hiccup I've run into yet is waiting on new
nvidia drivers when a kernel update hits. (Also, rpmfusion released the
nonfree-release before the requisite free-release, but that merely
caused a dependency failure until it was fixed...)

Given what it is, I'm sure some people have trouble with Fedora, and you
have my sympathy if you're one of them. I'm not convinced, however, that
such problems are the norm and not the exception.

--
Matthew
This was, apparently, beyond her ken.  So far beyond her ken that she