Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 18:55:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 8:44 AM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson (dbn.lists at gmail.com) said:
>> I didn't suggest having plymouth change to tty7. In fact, I posted a
>> patch so that it's all controlled from /etc/sysconfig/desktop instead
>> of having plymouth and gdm work behind the scenes.
>>
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-October/msg02516.html
>>
>> Does that seem reasonable at all?
>
> Better, but still problematic, especially on runlevel 3->5 transitions:
>
> - by moving the trigger to prefdm, you get gdm/X on whatever tty you run
>  telinit from...
> - which makes the logic w.r.t. tty1 in /etc/event.d/tty1 incorrect

Yeah, I realized that later. The writing of /var/spool/gdm/whatever
should be done from /etc/event.d/tty1, since that's the only place you
really know it's appropriate. I changed it so that it only happens on
initial boot to runlevel 5 (`runlevel` = "N 5"). There is still the
problem where getty is not started on tty1 when the display manager is
not gdm. That would require some more smarts between /etc/event.d/tty1
and /etc/event.d/prefdm. But that's no different than the current
situation. I'm confident this can be done correctly, though. Patch
attached.

--
Dan