WPA without NetworkManager (was: Re: X on tty1 in Rawhide/F10)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Oct 31 03:23:02 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 21:18 +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Thursday, 30 October 2008 at 15:04, Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 13:34 +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> [...]
> > > What's wrong with manually editing wpa_supplicant.conf?
> >
> > Because it's not easily from anything but wpa_supplicant, and it's
> > completely different than the existing ifup/ifdown config system.
> > System-config-network would have to grow the ability to parse the
> > wpa_supplicant config file format.  You can't override the variables
> > from /etc/sysconfig/network if you want to.  There's no separation of
> > interfaces to allow for multiple connections with two or more wifi cards
> > with 'ifup number1' and 'ifup number2' independently.
>
> How often do you see machines with multiple wifi cards? I haven't seen
> any.
Until last week, I haven't see one, either, but I could not manage to
get the RealTek wifi working on my netbook, ...

>  I could easily set one up by adding a usb stick with wifi or a pcmcia
> card, but I haven't needed it yet.
..., which had caused me to try exactly what you describe.

Provided how cheap these usb-beasts have become, it doesn't need much
imagination to envision you'll soon see more of such systems.

Ralf