CONFIG_CGROUP_MEM_RES_CTLR

Balbir Singh bsingharora at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 07:29:28 UTC 2008

While trying to build the memory resource controller with the latest
kernel source,  I saw the following in config-generic

#NOTE: Before changing the size below, take notice that page struct
will grow past a cacheline on 32 bit.

I am running F10-alpha 32 bit version, on which I see

Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.27-0.166.rc0.git8.fc10.i686 #1 SMP Mon
Jul 21 20:51:26 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

sizeof(vma)=84 bytes
sizeof(page)=56 bytes
sizeof(inode)=608 bytes
sizeof(dentry)=160 bytes
sizeof(ext3inode)=860 bytes
sizeof(buffer_head)=56 bytes
sizeof(skbuff)=184 bytes
sizeof(task_struct)=6056 bytes

With size at 56 bytes, I don't think adding 4 bytes will affect the
growth beyond cacheline size.

I suspect that there are a few debugging options turned on, that are
causing either spinlock_t to bloat or something that CONFIG_PAGE_OWNER
is turned on. Are these debugging options going to go away as we head
towards F10 release?

Balbir