Dependency loops considered harmful?

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Wed Sep 3 23:16:06 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 14:12 -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> Applications that consist of multiple packages, such as the game
> example, should be designated as a group rather than a looped
> dependency.

Actually a proper fix is to implement the per-package "explicitly
installed/pulled in as a dep" flag that has been discussed several times
in the past, and is already implemented (thus proven) in the "aptitude"
apt front end.

We must address this user interface problem if Fedora is to be a shining
beacon of open source light in the looming dark future of closed
DRM-laden content delivery services such as Steam, Xbox Live and
PlayStation Network.