Dependency loops considered harmful?

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 4 19:27:43 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 09:31 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Thomas Moschny wrote:
> > 2008/9/4 Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com>:
> >> With that said, there needs to be a way for a developer to tell yum not
> >> to prune away leaf packages if they want.
> >
> > % yum install libFoo
> >
> > this might look like a noop, because libFoo is already installed, but
> > it would switch the bit for libFoo from 'installed-as-dependency' to
> > 'first-class-installed'.
> >
> That's a good point.

Okay this is obviously just Proof code so take it as read - but grab
this script:

http://skvidal.fedorapeople.org/misc/remove-recurse.py

and run it with one arg being the pkg you wish to remove. It will print
out what it would end up doing if it was removed.

for example:

# python remove-recurse.py easytag
remove easytag
removing id3lib-3.8.3-20.fc9.i386 b/c it is not required by anything
else
removing libmp4v2-1.5.0.1-6.fc9.i386 b/c it is not required by anything
else
libmp4v2.i386 0-1.5.0.1-6.fc9 - e
id3lib.i386 0-3.8.3-20.fc9 - e
easytag.i386 0-2.1-5.fc9 - e

It doesn't actually change anything, just prints out what would happen.
then tell me which (and I'm sure there  are many) cases it doesn't
properly address.
-sv