Dependency loops considered harmful?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 20:54:52 UTC 2008

Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 13:07 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> [badger at Clingman tmp]$ sudo ./remove-recurse.py yum
>> [...]
>> removing pygpgme-0.1-8.fc9.i386 b/c it is not required by anything else
>> removing python-iniparse-0.2.3-3.fc9.noarch b/c it is not required by
>> anything else
>
> Using yum to remove yum? Talk about grasping for straw men.
>
> Can we argue realistic scenarios, please?

Pardon, yum was just the first package I looked at since Seth was doing
the asking.  I can certainly go through and find something else that
will cause the same sort of thing to happen but why bother?  This is the
technical point:  If you are using your system to develop or otherwise
work on unpackaged software (I hadn't thought about having small scripts
in ~/bin earlier, for instance) then you will be caught out by this.

-Toshio