Using rpm for incremental development builds? (was: Dependency loops considered harmful?)

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Sep 4 22:23:45 UTC 2008

Vasile Gaburici wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 1:05 AM, Matthew Woehlke
> <mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>> Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>>> Uhm... you realize that building an rpm every time you want to test a
>>> change as you develop an app is incredibly clunky?  It really is not
>>> going to happen.  Really.
>> I still submit that this itself is a problem that should be worked on... Why
>> must it be "too clunky"? Why can't we fix it so that expecting developers to
>> install via rpm, even for incremental builds, is perfectly reasonable? Of
>> course this process probably won't involve going through a full rpmbuild,
>> just something that tracks the installed files in rpm's database along with
>> updating the database for dependencies (i.e. it would replace 'make install'
>> but not 'make all').
>
> This would be nice, but it is at odds with the idea of building from
> pristine (archived) sources.

Hmm, true, but we're talking about something to make developers' jobs
easier. And, like I mentioned, I'm thinking mainly along the lines of
using rpm to track files from home-built software as well as dependency
tracking.

Also, it would be *really* nice to be able to build qt-copy and have it
update rpm's database to "know" that I have qt4 already :-). I know, I
can forge the db entries, but then if I ever try to back out qt-copy I'm
in a bit of a pickle (because I have to remember to back our the rpm-db
changes also).

If I could install with rpm, backing out qt-copy would be as easy as
'rpm -e qt4-4.4.2-copy', which would undo the install, pester me about
any packages that need qt4^1, and clean up the db in one shot.

...and I wouldn't have to occasionally 'rm -rf $KDEDIR' because rpm
would be handling removal of stale files for me.

(^1 ...which suggests another feature; if removing an orphaned package,
i.e. something not in yum's repos^2, yum could ask me if I want to
install a repo package to satisfy dependencies rather than remove
dependent packages.)

(^2 ...which I guess would mean using yum instead of rpm, but that
should be ok.)

--
Matthew
This message represents the official view of the voices in my head.