Proposal: Split Fedora into sub-distributions

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 13:30:51 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 5:09 AM, Lyos Gemini Norezel
<lyos.gemininorezel at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's come to my attention lately that Fedora has, essensially, become 'to
> big for it's britches' (as you old farts like to say).
> I think the time has come for Fedora to be split up into subgroups:

What is too big for one's britches? That it doesn't fit on one cd?
That there is other code than that shipped on the DVD?

> To some extent, these groups already exist, but they are not/cannot be
> complete until the distribution is behind each one.
>
> I know many will knock this idea as "hard to maintain", but... is it really?
>
> The infrastructure will be difficult to setup, but once done, should be a
> breeze to maintain.
> Especially since everyone here already focuses on their ideal use case
> anyway.

Are you volunteering to help solve this problem with actual code and
showing how developer workflow will happen? Especially when package A
is needed by package B which is in X-01 sub-distro but not in X-02
because it doesn't fit the definition of X-02. Or when package A in
X-01 has been upgraded and your program in B doesn't work anymore
because it needed A-01 and the maintainer is no longer doing that...
and you don't find out until release time.

To be honest, anyone who says infrastructure should be a breeze to
maintain... has to define breeze... I have yet to see a build
infrastructure anywhere that is a 'breeze'... too many frickin' corner
cases.

> Maybe it's just me, but I think it's time Fedora stops trying to become
> another Debian, and starts catering to the groups that comprise it.
>
> What do ya'll think?
>
> Lyos Gemini Norezel
>
> --

Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux