Boot speedup with readahead

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 13:35:34 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 6:21 AM, Arjan van de Ven <arjan at infradead.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 12:52:56 +0200
> Harald Hoyer <harald at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello fellow Fedora developers,
>>
>> recently readahead was modified to adapt to system file changes and
>> to start very early in the boot process via upstart.
>>
>> I would like to encourage you to test readahead-1.4.5-3.fc10 from
>> rawhide (even possible on F9), which I built some minutes ago. It may
>> take a day to reach your local mirror.
>>
>> # yum --enablerepo=rawhide install readahead
>> or
>> # yum --enablerepo=rawhide update readahead
>>
>> With the next reboot readahead-collector runs and collects the
>> information which files are used during the boot process. The next
>> reboot then, readahead read ahead those files and the boot process
>> (from init start to gdm login screen) should be approx. 10% faster.
>>

> for those who are going to the plumbers conference... Auke Kok and I
> will present there on how to make a Fedora based system boot in 5
> seconds...
>
> and yes a form of readahead was needed to achieve that ;-)
>

> --
> If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan at linux.intel.com
> For development, discussion and tips for power savings,
> visit http://www.lesswatts.org
>
> --

Please!! make a video of that and full documentation on how to get
that done! i'm gona try that out as well when there are docs on how to
do it.

I sure hope your right in a 5 second boot.
I hope it's still with:
- Grub (or grub 2)
- that new rhgb replacement
- gdm/kdm/slim/xdm

Or do you make somekind of a boot dump and start that the next time you boot?

More info please! this is interesting.