Boot speedup with readahead

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 22:52:48 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 12:26 AM, John Reiser <jreiser at bitwagon.com> wrote:
> drago01 wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 6:21 AM, Arjan van de Ven <arjan at infradead.org> wrote:
>   [snip]
>>> for those who are going to the plumbers conference... Auke Kok and I
>>> will present there on how to make a Fedora based system boot in 5
>>> seconds...
>>>
>>> and yes a form of readahead was needed to achieve that ;-)
>>
>> wtf?
>> without a custom kernel I doubt that this is possible....
>
> Shut down and boot an Apple Macintosh running current OS X 10.5.4.
> As part of shutting down, it builds a RAM disk of what will be needed
> at next boot, then saves the RAM disk to hard disk.  (I have not seen
> the work by Arjan+Auke, but I boot many kinds of systems.)
>
> --
>
> --

I've been wondering if that was possible or not. Now since you told it
is (for mac) i wonder if something like it exists for linux..
I've been looking for something like: "boot from ramdisk" but nothing
useful so far.

@Arjan,
Can you tell if you made code adjustments to readahead? or didn't you
use that (because you said "a form of")..
And any other code adjustments..

Men.. just tell us how you did this ^_^