Call for developers: rpmbuilder

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon Sep 8 18:49:56 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Chris Evich <cevich at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Hopefully this is the right mailing list :)
>
> Project rpmbuilder aims to provide a template-based approach to packaging.  In
> other words, it removes responsibility from developer to produce an RPM spec
> file the "right" way.  Instead, the package developer just feeds in his
> project's particulars, and a template-driven engine puts the pieces together
> and spits out a "sane" RPM and SRPM.
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/rpmbuilder

Personally I would rather see Fedora heavily invest in reducing all
the overhead that currently exists in packaging and putting more
intelligence into the core of the system, rather than generating spec
files.  Editing spec files is already painful enough; editing
generated ones sounds even less fun.  Essentially if the build system
knows about things like the Ruby gem specs, Python setup.py, Java's
Maven, freedesktop.org autotools-based desktop packages, etc., then
you don't need to autogenerate a lot of spec boilerplate.