make force-tag gone

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Tue Sep 9 16:07:19 UTC 2008

Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> to ensure GPL compliance and that we can always reproduce we have said for
> awhile now that tags will eventually be made immutable

This is overreaching, and as I said makes no sense if tagged package was
never actually built.

> I had missed that Mike Bonnet had added it,  if it had been caught it would
> have been removed sooner.

If you take away force-tag, you have to provide an alternative for
scratch builds across all arches, in the same koji build environment

> I would love someone to help here.   adding checks to makefile.common  check
> that all patches are commited and that source is updated and commited.  AFAIK
> these are the most common reasons people force a tag and the closest thing to
> a valid reason for forcing a tag.

No, there's also difference in build environments in koji (stricter
desktop-file-install is a classic, or the recent fuzzy patch issue), as
well as cross-architecture builds. As I said, you need to provide an
alternative to packagers for cross-arch test builts.

> when we tag we should be sure that the build is fine and going to build. thats
> why we have targets like mockbuild other targets to help test things are
> always welcome.

Mock is nice, but it's a resource-heavy tool that can't be used on all
systems. My work laptop doesn't have the bandwidth and disk-space for it
for example, and it won't catch cross-arch issues.