make force-tag gone

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Sep 9 17:44:27 UTC 2008

Dennis Gilmore <dennis <at> ausil.us> writes:
> I had missed that Mike Bonnet had added it,  if it had been caught it would
> have been removed sooner.

Many packagers use this feature, you can't just remove it without even telling
us. You made no announcement or anything. Maybe you're underestimating the
amount of times force-tag was used? The KDE packages have been force-tagged
dozens of times (and no, never after a successful build, we know what we're
doing!).

> I would love someone to help here.   adding checks to makefile.common  check
> that all patches are commited and that source is updated and commited.  AFAIK
> these are the most common reasons people force a tag and the closest thing to
> a valid reason for forcing a tag.

The most common reason people force a tag is that the package failed to build
because of a typo in the specfile.

> why we have targets like mockbuild   other targets to help test things are
> always welcome.

mockbuild is highly impractical for huge packages like kdelibs, and even more
so for dependency chains like qt -> kdelibs -> kdepimlibs -> ... There's just
no way packagers are going to mockbuild all their packages locally before
building in Koji. (And Bastien Nocera agrees with me there, see his reply
elsewhere in this thread.)

        Kevin Kofler