Banned from Fedora Forums

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 18:23:59 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 14:19 -0400, Warren Togami wrote:
> Oh dear.  OK, I don't know the full story here, but it appears that both
> sides are accusing each other of being disrespectful.  They seem to
> dislike PackageKit because it has been very broken for a long time
> (which I agree with), however that isn't reason to ban a developer for
> asking for debugging information with the goal of fixing it.

Sure, I'm the first to admit PackageKit has it's bugs (and the 0.1.x
series was particularly rubbish) but I'm asking users to report bugs in
bugzilla rather than spread FUD on forums.

> This is especially problematic when Fedora Forum is our #1 preferred
> place to direct end-users to for end-user support.

This is what I'm worried about.

>   fedora-list is a dramatic pile of fail for this purpose.  We also want to promote greater
> participation of fedora developers on Fedora Forum in order to better
> understand what are the common failures and to encourage users to follow
> the proper processes to isolate the causes and test solutions.

Exactly. They need to encourage developers, not ban them. Without
developers it just becomes user A winging at user B and user C posting
some random workaround.

> There seems to be upset people and hyperbole being thrown about.
> Let's have some well thought out discussion instead.

Yes, I'm a person who wears my heart on my sleeve, so to speak, which I
make no apology for.

Richard.