make force-tag gone

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Tue Sep 9 22:09:53 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 13:24 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Simo Sorce wrote:
> >> I believe he misspoke.  You are of course free to make 300 small
> >> separate specfile changes between each build attempt.
> >>
> >> There is a desire to move to a point where we can be reasonably sure
> >> that a cvs tag corresponds to a specific build.  Since we have no way
> >> of making only tags corresponding to successfully built packages
> >> immutable, all tags must be immutable.
> >> Find me a way to mark only the subset of cvs tags which correspond to
> >> a successful koji build as immutable.
> >
> > If this is the aim, then koji should be the one to tag the CVS after a
> > build is successful.
>
> Question 1: Does this still fall under the all or nothing prevention of
> moving tags?  I don't know CVS well enough to know if there's a
> fullblown hook that can be run to determine that "all tags prefixed with
> koji-* are immutable".  If so, that is a way to achieve this and was
> proposed by Jesse several months ago.

I like this proposal.

> > It doesn't make sense to tag an unsuccessful build,a nd it is an
> > unnecessary burden on developers.
> >
> Actually... tagging an unsuccessful build is useful.  How else do you
> take a look at what caused a particular build to fail?  I think having
> multiple immutable tags for the same NVR would be preferable.

I didn't say adding tags should be prevented, but I find it unnecessary
to force people to run make tag before make build, let koji tag a build
if it is successful, and let people ad tags if they need, just not force
people to tag when koji can do it with knowledge that that is a good
build.
and you might also decide to add tags for broken builds if you please by
appending a broken build suffix (timestamp) so that you can keep using
the same n-v-r until you get a successful build.

Actually adding an automatic koji-<package>-<timestamp> tag
automatically when running 'make build' is not a bad idea, is it ?

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York