make force-tag gone

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Wed Sep 10 12:31:22 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 03:08:38AM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 10:10 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
>
> > So why would you make a change to the spec file, without bumping the
> > release?
>
> Because (with all due respect) it seems silly to bump the release just
> to deal with fat-fingering something. It happens countless times too.
>
> > Also there's an auditing GPL legal reason (IIRC) that we're
> > doing this now.
>
> Can someone confirm that this legal reason actually exists? i.e. if one
> builds packages that are never released, how is it then a problem to
> retag? And besides, CVS history is still coherent in either case.

The question is - can an automated tool, given a binary RPM, request
of CVS the corresponding source code for it?  Yes, unless people can
arbitrarily re-tag after the packages have been published.  Then there
is no guarantee that what is tagged in CVS matches the source code for
a given package.

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux