Plan for tomorrows (20080910) FESCO meeting

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Sep 10 15:51:54 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 07:42:31AM -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 7:02 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> > (1) It imposes upon us the need to use a separate repository, which is
> > based on the false assumption that we will be rebuilding a substantial
> > proportion of all Fedora packages, like some sort of secondary
> > architecture.
> >
> > In reality this is not the case - we only wish to rebuild a few common
> > libraries.  Secondary architectures rebuild every package, including
> > applications, which we have no intention of doing even if it were
> > possible (which it isn't).
>
> You can't make any assurances that additional community members will
> not want additional libraries nor applications to be included.  You
> have a very narrow view as to what you need right now with regard to a
> development environment for a specific task.  It doesn't take much to
> realize, even from the infrastructure ticket that the libraries
> requested can mushroom into something larger than the set of libraries
> you are currently envisioning.

But even a larger set of libraries isn't the whole of Fedora.
Libraries constitute only 1 in 5 Fedora packages.  And not all
libraries can be ported to Windows, by any means.  Cross-compiling is
not a mechanical task and requires many upstream changes.

At the moment we have, through a large effort, cross compiled 27
libraries, and that includes big ones like Gtk and all its
dependencies.  27 libraries, or even 27 x small 'n' libraries is NOT a
secondary architecture and does not need a separate repository.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top