Plan for tomorrows (20080910) FESCO meeting

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Sep 10 16:18:20 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 09:07:58AM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Can you list some of the impacts a separate repository would impact
> MingW if #3 was changed to enabled by default?

I'm not really hung up on the whole repository thing.  I just think
it's extra administrative make-work, and not just for me, but for
hard-working rel-eng people.  Other large projects seem to get along
without needing to be confined to an extra repository.

> > This is a considerable restriction.  A useful Windows cross-
> > development environment must include packages like NSIS installer, GNU
> > gettext and PortableXDR, none of which would make sense as standalone
> > Fedora packages.
> >

> rpm -q getext
> gettext-0.17-4.fc9.i386
> :-)

The library is a part of glibc.  On Windows we compile the library
separately because there ain't no glibc ...

> I think that some discussion of this is warranted, though.  It would be
> desirable to have a program that can run on Linux and generate Windows
> installers, for instance, but do we want to force our developers to do
> the work of adapting a Windows program like NSIS installer to run on
> Linux natively?

I've already done this.  Not checked into the repo yet, but I'll try
to check it in later today.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v