Proposal: Split Fedora into sub-distributions

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Sep 10 17:30:24 UTC 2008

Lyos Gemini Norezel wrote:
> It's come to my attention lately that Fedora has, essensially, become
> 'to big for it's britches' (as you old farts like to say).
> I think the time has come for Fedora to be split up into subgroups:
> [snip]

That sounds like what we had a few releases back, with Core+Extras. I'm
glad that's gone; less stuff available for initial install, more repos
to manage... ick.

> By the same token, a developer is not likely to use any gui tool that
> does not provide some extreme 'ease of use' case (be honest,
> how many of ya'll use vi or vim over gedit?).

Um... I wouldn't say I use vim "over" kwrite, I just use whichever seems
most convenient at the time and for the given task. IOW, while I use
kwrite/kate/kdevelop a lot, I *also* use vim a lot. Besides, having a
CLI-only text editor is IMO absolutely vital. You need it when logging
in remotely over a slow connections, or when things go wrong with X (or
when you need to do a few things between reboots* and are too lazy to
fire up a desktop environment).

(* e.g. one of these days I /really/ need to power down, swap in my
dying laptop's HD, dump files off it, rinse, repeat, and put the other
HD back; several reboots to fiddle with hardware. No reboots for
software, of course, this *is* Linux after all :-).)

> Fedora cannot (realistically) provide an ideal all-in-one distribution,
> but it can, if ya'll are willing to try, provide multiple distributions
> capable of providing ideal platforms to each group.

Um... why not? That's *exactly* what I want out of Fedora; packages for
just about anything I want :-). And, of course, my wants will be
different from Joe's wants, or Tom's wants, or Sue's wants, or...

--
Matthew
Your eyes are weary from staring at the CRT. You feel sleepy. Notice how