Boot speedup with readahead

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Wed Sep 10 18:23:30 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:
> Colin Walters wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>> Here's a proof of concept plugin:
>>>
>>> http://skvidal.fedorapeople.org/misc/post-transaction-actions/
>>
>> Ok cool - with one small fix to the plugin, this simple action:
>>
>> # Update the GTK+ icon cache when an icon is installed.
>> # See: http://www.gtk.org/api/2.6/gtk/gtk-update-icon-cache.html
>> /usr/share/icons/hicolor/*:any:gtk-update-icon-cache --quiet --force
>> /usr/share/icons/hicolor
>
> Err, shouldn't update cache for the entire /usr/share/icons/hicolor.  Just the
> directory changed...

Yeah, true.  Perhaps the simplest way to do this is for the yum plugin
to pass down the paths that matched?  Another alternative would be for
the the actions themselves to be Python code, and we just do the
equivalent of:

for plugin in plugin:
  plugin.run(package_name, changed_files_list)

Something to figure out for when this gets pushed into RPM.