Boot speedup with readahead

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Wed Sep 10 20:16:37 UTC 2008

>And just move forward with doing things from the yum-cli and/or yum
>modules.
>
>Using the rpm interface for rescue/recovery functionality only.

Please remember that people use packaging tools for more than simple
system maintenance; for example, I use an image-builder which is now
based on smart (even though it was originally based on yum) because
smart is more convenient for some of my programmatic use cases [1].

Basically, diversity in this area is a Good Thing, in my humble opinion.
Please don't impair it without a really good reason when alternatives
exist (such as pushing this functionality into RPM).

Thanks,

Michael

[1]: In particular, because of its programmable mirror system, priority
system, support for alternate package formats, built-in ability to
download packages, builtin ability to save URLs for the packages it is
going to download, strictness options, etc.)