recover from broken yum transaction

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 11 15:01:05 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 17:42 +1200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > When this happens you should run:
> > yum-complete-transaction
>
> Interesting toy! I think you mentioned it at Fudcon Boston and I
> hadn't been able to recall the right name.
>
> Thinking of using it in the use case of the school server (very
> unreliable power, no sysadmins available, 100% unattended updates) -
>
>  - Is it safe to run at boot time via an init script?

as long as the network is up, it should be.

>  - Is there an easy way to check for pending transactions?

yum-complete-transaction checks for them itself

>  - Does it have useful exit codes indicating whether it's done anything?

If the results codes are not good enough we can fix that easily enough.

> Is that different from `package-cleanup --problems` ?

--problems reports a different set of things - package conflicts and
unresolved deps. A dupe is not, implicitly, a problem. it CAN be, but it
is not always.

-sv