PostgreSQL mgmt on Fedora: pg_cluster-like tools?

Devrim GÜNDÜZ devrim at gunduz.org
Fri Sep 12 05:47:26 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 17:28 +1200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> OTOH, we know what apps talk to Pg, and we'll have tested them
> thoroughly. The failures could come from data that breaks during
> migration - so if an 8.3 to 8.4 migration fails to complete we keep
> running on Pg 8.3, and write a log.

So to which directory do you want us to get backup? What if it is filled
in the middle of dumping? We have some customers that has hundreds GB of
data -- can you imagine how long will the dump take? During the dump, we
have do shutdown (actually don't allow anyone else than localhost/Unix
domain sockets) PostgreSQL in order to be able to migrate correctly. It
will be really painful. PostgreSQL project has Slony-I to be used in
such migrations (almost) without downtime.

So,  IMHO what Fedora should do is to be able to install many versions
in parallel, and leave the rest of DBA work to the users.
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
                   http://www.gunduz.org