NetworkworkManger and network based filesystem /usr

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Fri Sep 12 19:02:09 UTC 2008

Jeff Law wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> Hans de Goede (j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl) said:
>>> But there is a catch, hal and NetworkManager are currently under /usr
>>> which could be on a network based fs itself. So hal and
>>> NetworkManager will need to be moved to /bin and /lib[64], or
>>> alternatively we could declare that installations where /usr is on a
>>> different fs then / are not supported (which might be a good thing
>>> todo for F-10 and then move hal + NM for F-11).
>>>

>> Having network /usr and non-network  / isn't really practical long term.
>> I'm all for not supporting it.
>>
> It  must die die die.  We're far better off making root filesystems
> sharable and readonly.

I'm not necessarily against stopping supporting this, but it does mean that
upgrading won't work on some systems.  And it means that "yum upgrading" will
fail /catastrophically/ on those machines.

--
         Peter

I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to
change that here and there.
		-- Feynman