Pulseaudio : lots of issues, how can I help?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Sep 13 13:51:08 UTC 2008

Colin Walters writes:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 10:11 PM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:

> >> What Fedora? And, what GDM? This worked, hmm, perhaps 60-70% for me back
> >> in Fedora 8. But GDM has gone through a massive rewrite since then. None
> >> of the users I'm in touch with have gotten this to work on F-9 or later.
> >
> > I just tried this too with GDM, and got speech too.  I right clicked
> > in the lower left of the screen, checked the "Read text" option, and
> > moused over and heard sound.  Have you filed a bug about this issue?
>
> Incidentally you should be able to enable this by default so sightless
> people don't have the bootstrapping problem of enabling TTS.  There is
> some documentation on the new GDM configuration here:
> http://live.gnome.org/GDM/2.22/Configuration

I'm sure personal machines will be set up with this as a default, once
all the bugs are cleared. One known issue, last it was working in F-8,
is that you could get speech via GDM, or speech on the Desktop after
login--but not both. Rather a bug.

Also, the intent is that Ctrl-s needs to be available so that any GNOME
desktop, whether your sister's, your neighbor's, the university's, or
the local coffee stand's, can work via a reliable "gesture."

Janina