change isdn4k-utils to optional

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun Sep 14 08:35:31 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-09-13 at 20:40 +0200, Benny Amorsen wrote:
> Ralf Ertzinger <fedora at camperquake.de> writes:
>
> > There are (and always will be, I suspect) places where anything faster
> > than ISDN will simply not be available.
Definitely.

> Do you know anyone who uses dialup ISDN?
Yes, ... typically these are people, who use ISDN for landline phone
communication and who don't feel to have a need or do not want to
allocate a budget for better internet access.

> Generally people around here who use dialup use it on their cell
> phones (which is fairly hard to set up in Fedora, by the way). There
> are still a few users on analog dialup too. But ISDN? No way.
Well, in Germany approx. 1/3 of all landline phones are ISDN, with VolIP
gradually gaining increasing importance over both ISDN and analog in
phone communication. At the same time, internet access is rapidly
switching over to broadband, having reduced small band internet access
(analog/ISDN etc.) to a fraction of what it used to be some years
ago[1].

I.e. nowadays, in Germany, ISDN is still a major player in voice phone
communication, while ISDN dialups are rapidly following the importance
of analog dialups.

Finally, consider, there is another set of use-cases for ISDN on Linux:
phone-applications (answering machines, fax-servers, ...).

Ralf

[1] http://www.bundesnetzagentur.de/media/archive/13212.pdf
[German Federal Network Agency's 2007 Annual Report (German only)]