Pulseaudio : lots of issues, how can I help?

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Mon Sep 15 10:31:58 UTC 2008

On Friday, 12 September 2008 at 21:46, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 3:43 PM, Janina Sajka <janina at rednote.net> wrote:
> >
> > The problems we have right now are sufficiently sever to be
> > showstoppers. At the SpeakupModified.Org we recommend disabling
> > pulseaudio. As things stand in F-9, one gets no audio until after a user
> > logs in on the GUI. So, how are those who need screen reader support
> > supposed to use the a11y features of GDM? As it stands, there seems no
> > way to get console audio without that GUI login. Also a nonstarter in
> > the screen reader user community.
>
> If you want to run terminal applications, can't you just log in to a
> full screen gnome-terminal?

I can, but that's irrelevant. Why do you want to take my ability to
log in in text mode?

> > It seems a useful initial step toward resolution is to run pulseaudio
> > as a system daemon, via an init script, /sbin/service, /sbin/chkconfig.
> > The trade-offs vs the per user model that F-9 employs are probably more
> > than acceptable to most a11y users.
> >
> > So, let me simply ask ... Has anyone a working init script for
> > pulseaudio as a system daemon? Anything close that we could continue to
> > refine as an alternative configuration option for Fedora?
>
> We're going to be removing the legacy non-X system consoles by default
> in the long run.

Please tell me this is some kind of bad joke! Is Fedora becoming like
MS Windows? Just when Microsoft announced that you'll be able to install
Windows 7 without a GUI, you're announcing something opposite for Fedora?
Are you going to drive away people who like the textmode better?

Seriously, that would be one of the changes that would drive *me* away
from Fedora. Please don't do that. I like Fedora too much and I've invested
too much time in improving it for me.

Regards,
R.

Livna http://rpm.livna.org | MPlayer http://mplayerhq.hu