Today's (9/12) rawhide all users = unable to authenticate user!

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Sep 15 18:58:11 UTC 2008

Nigel Jones wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 23:35 -0500, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> darrell pfeifer wrote:

>>> The gdm changelog says
>>>
>>> * Tue Sep 09 2008 Jon McCann <jmccann at redhat.com> - 1:2.23.92-2
>>> - Disallow root login
>>>
>>>  So it is intentional
>> So... what exactly are we supposed to do when the user login gets hosed?
>> Reach for a rescue disk? (Seriously, what's with the sudden trend to
>> make fixing problems harder by making recovery modes inaccessible in an
>> apparent bid to hide the "confusing/potentially dangerous" bits of the
>> system from the user?)
> From memory GDM has always done this, (I personally don't use GDM, I
> favour KDM), I remember some FC5 machines in particular that required a
> GDM configuration hack to allow root logins.

Last I checked I can login as root (in the display manager, which AFAIK
is gdm) on this box. This is F9, and at any rate I'm 99% sure it worked
in F8.

> Overall, I'm in favour of not allowing root GUI logins by default, I'd
> imagine we are still going to always have direct root CLI logins.

...unless the "let's remove mingetty" crowd gets their way. (That also
assumes that VT switching is working, which seems to not be the case
with nvidia's POS video drivers :-(.)

--
Matthew
"NT was a marketing name that stood for New Technology, but it was still