NetworkworkManger and network based filesystem /usr

Jeff Law law at redhat.com
Tue Sep 16 07:22:23 UTC 2008

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> ?!? I am confused by this answer.
>
> /etc reflects a machine's local configuration,
> i.e. most in /etc/ is not shareable.
>
> Or conversely: Those files in /etc/ which are shareable, likely should
> not be in /etc.
>
> Ralf

Most of /etc is sharable in my experience, this is particularly true in
clusters and anywhere there's a reasonably run IT department that
realizes that their time is not well spent if the ratio of machines to
configurations is small on the machines they maintain.

The non-sharable hunks fall into two broad categories.

  1. Persistent -- host SSH keys and the like

  2. Non-persistent -- /etc/mtab and its friends.

The nature of atomic file updates in unix systems is such that you need
a r/w union overlay for /etc itself.  That overlay is backed by a
temporary filesystem.   The few persistent bits are most easily handled
by bind mounting the appropriate files/directories to persistent storage.

Jeff