The state of resolv.conf

Nils Philippsen nils at redhat.com
Tue Sep 16 09:34:32 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 08:44 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 09:32 +0200, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> > Wouldn't the best way be to have an api that can be used to add and
> > delete DNS servers and manipulate resolv.conf. Then we could have
> > deamons call that.
>
> No what you really need is more than a simple resolv.conf file.
>
> We need a default caching daemon (which by itself will solve a lot of
> other issues) that tools like NM, vpnc, openvpn can interact with.
> These tools will tell the caching daemon which IP ranges and which
> domains their provided forwarders should be consulted for. All dynamic
> so that as soon as one daemon goes away, the caching DNS will notice and
> revert queries to the default DNS. And if NM/routes go away it can keep
> working out of its cache.

Definitely. The current way of modifying resolv.conf sometimes leaves
behind the VPN setup (without VPN connection) and is generally
unflexible. Ideally, it should be something which isn't restricted to
class A/B/C like reverse DNS (seems to be), but which would route DNS
requests based on arbitrary domain name or IP-range criteria to the
desired name servers.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat               a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty