Tried Pulse Audio Again--No Good For A11y

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Sep 16 21:02:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 4:46 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Chuck Anderson <cra at wpi.edu> wrote:
>> That's ConsoleKit deactivating the streams on the non-active console.
>> This is so mult-user-switching can work and each user can have their
>> own audio.
>
> Technically.. is it  PolicyKit or ConsoleKit doing the deactivation?
> I always get confused as to which one of those is doing what.

Neither actually - pulseaudio is listening to ConsoleKit events and
giving up the stream itself.

> Regardless, PolicyKit's authorization mechanisms both on the cmdline
> and the gui should be usable to change how access control for the
> streams work to widen the access scope to sound devices to any user at
> the console and not just the active console..or even wider if desired.

This is a bit of a grey area between "system configuration" and
"security", but I'd suggest that if someone needs the ability to
change the behavior, that should be a change to pulseaudio and not try
to express it in policykit.