Non-X text mode console

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Tue Sep 16 21:53:08 UTC 2008

Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com> writes:

> However they do not work on all machines, they do not work with a lot of
> screen reader technology and they don't work with many of the remote management
> cards.

I only have experience with HP's iLO, and that only supports BIOS
writes as far as I can tell (except the advanced version which does a
full graphical console). Linux doesn't use BIOS writes, so that battle
is lost already.

That's ok though, because it also works as a serial-port-over-telnet,
and the Linux serial console is reasonably good. I would imagine that
most of the other remote management cards do the same, am I wrong?

/Benny