Pulseaudio : lots of issues, how can I help?

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Tue Sep 16 22:57:18 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 23:13 +0200, Benny Amorsen wrote:
> Suren Karapetyan <surenkarapetyan at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Having to run X (and you know... it won't start with less then 256M
> > ram) on every machine with Fedora is a real problem.
>
> The Nokia 770 runs X. Back in the day, 8MB 486's ran X. Heck, Sun 5-60's
> (68020's with 6MB of memory) ran X quite nicely. When you see X in
> "top", a lot of its memory use is actually graphics card memory.

I had and 486 at the time with 8MB and I can assure you that X was the
*only* process running when I tried to use it (ie it used all memory and
some swap and the machine was basically dieing for the swapping)

When I had money to go 12MB X became slightly usable with some Xterms,
Xeyes and friends. Nothing fancy tho or swapping would start killing
your machine again.

However 32MB of ram will run X with a minimal Window Manager and apps
really well, especially at lower resolutions.

> An X solution is not impossible. I'm not saying it's the answer, but
> you can't rule it out like that.

On this I can agree :)

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York