Fedora not "free" enough for GNU?

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Sep 17 00:17:02 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 16:42 -0700, David Woodhouse wrote:
> We are almost at the point where we can do a spin which remedies that.
>
> Our 'kernel-firmware' package is currently built from the kernel
> source
> as a subpackage of the normal kernel build -- but we should stop doing
> that anyway, and build it instead as a completely separate package
> from
> the linux-firmware.git repository on kernel.org. That repository
> contains more firmware than the kernel does already, and is going to
> be
> gaining even more.

David,

There still looks to be firmware in the kernel source code that hasn't
been separated
out properly yet. For example, tg3.c:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob_plain;f=drivers/net/tg3.c;hb=HEAD

I don't know if you're tracking that or not, but I'll need to do a legal
audit at some point to ensure that the firmware is all separated out
from the source.

When we get to a point where the kernel-firmware package is truly
separate, then we're closer to being able to do a free spin, but it is
not the only roadblock.

~spot