Loopback mounting the root filesystem using nash

Karel Zak kzak at redhat.com
Thu Sep 18 09:06:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 05:17:35PM -0400, David P. Quigley wrote:
> I first tried to losetup the file onto /dev/loop0 but kept getting loop:
> can't get info on device /dev/loop0: No such device or address. I
> thought it was because I was missing the loop device so I created it
> with mknod /dev/loop0 b 7 0 (as it is on my actual fedora box) but this

 be careful with loop minor numbers (F10 kernels):

 # ls -l /dev/loop?*
 brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7,   0 2008-03-05 14:55 /dev/loop0
 brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7,  64 2008-03-05 14:55 /dev/loop1
 brw-rw---- 1 root disk 7, 128 2008-03-05 14:55 /dev/loop2

> The next thing I tried was to not bother with this and just use the -o
> loop option to mount but this fails with the error "mount: error
> mounting /rootfs.img on /sysroot as ext3: Block device required"

 the nash does not duplicate all mount(8) functionality and it does
 not support "mount -o loop". You have to call "losetup /dev/loop0
 file.img" before the mount.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak at redhat.com>